• Free Initial Consultation
  • Availabe 24/7
  • We Accept all Major Credit Cards
  • Jersey City Office
  • Mountainside Office
Se Habla Español

Jersey City & Edison Offices


Visas (Non-Immigrant)

U.S. Visa Lawyer in New Jersey

This section focuses on non-immigrant visas which are often just referred to as “visas”. It is important to note the difference between a non-immigrant visa and an immigrant visa which is commonly referred to as a “green card” (see U.S. Green Cards).  A non-immigrant visa is normally issued by an embassy or a U.S. consulate and allows a person to enter the country on a temporarily term and for a limited purpose. There are several different types of visas and each has its own set of privileges and regulations. For instance, one type of visa can give you the right to work, while another one can give the right to come to the country to study as a student. Under this same logic, each visa differs according to the length of time they permit their holders to stay in the country. For example, someone who comes to the United States on an investor visa may remain in the country for many years while individuals on a visitor’s visa are required to leave the country after only 6 months. The applicants who are willing to obtain nonimmigrant visa should schedule an appointment with a consular officer of the USA. All interviews are held by appointments only. Walk-in applicants are not accepted. The processing time for visas fairly quick compared to the time it takes for a green card. However, it is strongly recommend that you plan well in advance of any scheduled trips and it is never a good idea to buy airline tickets without first obtaining your visa. At the Law Offices of William A. Proetta our attorneys assist clients and their families visa applications and processing. We represent clients throughout New Jersey including Elizabeth, New Brunswick, Woodbridge, Paterson, Jersey City, Perth Amboy, and Edison.  Contact our office today at (732) 450-8300 for a free consultation regarding your circumstances.

Common Types of Temporary Visas

We have put together a list of different kinds of non-immigrant visas with brief descriptions for your convenience.

H-1B Visa is a type on nonimmigrant visas that permits American-based employers to give jobs to foreign guest workers in speciality occupations. The duration of this visa is normally three years but it can be extended and a worker may stay for another three years in the country.

F-1 Visa is a student visa for individuals who wish to come to the United States to attend a University or College. In order to obtain such type of a visa, the student would be required to present a signed Form I-20 at the U.S consulate or embassy in his or her home country.

K-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows the fiancé of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to travel to the United States for marriage.

H-2A Visa – is a type of nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign guest work to enter the U.S. for temporary or seasonal work of agricultural industry. According to the data, there are about 30,000 workers who currently have this type of visa and are temporarily living inside the country.

E-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows an individual to come to the U.S. and stay in the country for the contributed investment he or she will be controlling while being inside the United States. These visas should be renewed every other year but there is absolutely no limitation to the amount of times it can be renewed.

As you can see, there are many nuances with regards to a type of nonimmigrant visa that a foreign entry may obtain. At the Law Offices of William A. Proetta you can get qualified juridical assistance on any of the above issues. Our attorneys make sure they provide all clients with high-level services and cater to their individual needs.

 F-1 Student Visa K-1 Fiancé Visa
 J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa H-1B Specialty Work Visa
 B-1 Business Visitor Visa H-2A Seasonal Worker Visa
 B-2 Tourist Visa E-2 Investor Visa
 TN NAFTA Professional Visa L-1A & L-1B Company Transfer Visa
M-1 Student Visa E-1 Trader Visa